Do You Know What To Do In A Fire Emergency?
Have a plan for your St. Petersburg commercial property. Call SERVPRO® of Gulf Beaches South/St. Petersburg today!
Every Florida Business Should Have An Emergency Action Plan
Two-way communication is important before, during and after a disaster. Employees are the most crucial business asset, but are they informed of company emergency plans? These tips can help guide company’s preparation for a fire emergency.
Fire Plans: In addition to calling 911 immediately, make sure employees know what to do if there's a fire by conducting a fire drill at least once per year. This will keep seasoned employees aware of the workplace fire safety protocol and inform new ones.
Evacuation Plan: Post a fire evacuation plan in several spots around the workplace. Never include elevators in an evacuation plan; always use the stairs.
First Aid and : Employees should be familiar with the first aid kit and fire extinguishers' locations. Place the first aid kits and extinguishers where hazards are more likely to occur–such as in the kitchen.
If your commercial property has fire damage, contact SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South/ St. Petersburg.
Dealing with Commercial Mold
Recently, SERVPRO received a call from a local property owner to check on a restaurant he purchased to renovate. The renovation resulted in a large mold job for SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / St. Petersburg. Upon entering this abandoned space, it became clear immediately this was a mold remediation job for the experts! So we went to work!
With mold covering the walls, the bar area, baseboards, and crown molding, our crew had to suit up with PPE, including respirators and Tyvek suits, to ensure protection! Mold remediation is a very tedious job for a home, but even more so for a commercial property like a restaurant. A containment setup is needed to prevent contamination of unaffected areas. All items with mold exposure required proper disposal. An industrial hygienist arrived after SERVPRO finished the demo and cleanup to ensure the commercial property checked out.
Mold remediation in a commercial property is a tedious yet rewarding job, especially when we get to see a building brought back to life! Contact us today!
3 Key Facts About Commercial Black Water
Your Florida commercial building can be affected by flooding from several sources. Water damage can include warped flooring and moldy drywall, but one of the immediate issues caused by flooding is the influx of contaminated water. If your business has been damaged by flooding, it can help understand how this type of water can cause long-term damage and what you can do to mitigate it.
It Can Contain Dangerous Chemicals
Environmental experts often call contaminated water that stems from flooding Category 3 or “black water.” This means the water did not come from a sterile source and may contain various hazardous components, including harsh sewer and lawn chemicals that entered the water during flooding. These chemicals can make the water dangerous to touch, so calling in flood damage and cleanup service is the safest way to remove it.
It May Cause Health Effects
Category 3 water damage can be dangerous in more than one way. For example, standing black water can grow microbes that may cause health effects. Urine and feces may also be present, even if they are not immediately visible, so it is wise to avoid this type of water entirely and wait for professional cleanup services to arrive.
Acting Quickly Can Be Essential
Because contaminated water can become more dangerous the longer it sits, it is good to call in a cleanup crew right away. This can be important even if you believe the worst of the damage has already been done. Having the water removed may reduce the chances of long-term issues with your building’s affected floors and walls and prevent mold growth, which can be challenging to treat once it takes hold.
Black water damage can harm your Florida commercial building in several ways. However, when you know its dangers and how to combat them, you may be able to prevent the worst of the destruction.
Benefits of a Large Loss Response
When a disaster occurs in St. Petersburg, Florida, catastrophic loss often occurs. However, employing a restoration company that can offer a massive loss response can be useful for insurance agents and business owners.
1. Equipped With the Right Tools
When a major disaster strikes, the aftermath can be devastating. Restoration experts will likely be overwhelmed with requests. Some local restoration companies may not be equipped to handle all types of disasters, and these companies may not have access to specialized tools. A restoration company with a broad reach can bring the necessary tools from various locations to assist in the cleanup and restoration process.
2. Experience to Handle Catastrophes
Whether a catastrophic loss occurs due to flooding, storm, or fire damage, it's essential for business owners and insurance agents alike to know experienced professionals restoring commercial properties can help. One person alone may not have the experience to respond to a major disaster. However, when numerous people assist in responding to a disaster, the combined expertise makes the loss response team manage many aspects of commercial property damage.
3. Timely Reactions
When widespread damage occurs to an area, a local restoration company may not assess shortly after the disaster. Unfortunately, a slow response can cause a property to acquire more issues, such as mold growth, structural damage, etc. With a massive loss response, however, professionals can quickly assess a property, and after a thorough assessment, experts can assist in preventing additional damage and can begin restoration.
A massive loss response can make managing the effects of a catastrophic loss easier. An enormous loss response will allow various professionals from different areas to assess the damage. Experts will have the combined experience to handle multiple significant problems. Call SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg.
10 Key Facts About Mold
Mold growth in the corner of a room near a window.
10 Key Facts About Mold
- Mold exposure may cause health effects.
- There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.
- If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate moisture sources.
- Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.
- Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60%) to decrease mold growth by:
- Venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside
- Using air conditioners and de-humidifiers
- Increasing ventilation
- Using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.
- Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.
- Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent and dry thoroughly. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles that are moldy may need to be replaced.
- Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.
- In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).
- Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. Some molds can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.
Eliminating Mold Growth Causes
Indoor mold growth on ceiling near window.
SERVPRO Remediates Mold Damage and Takes Steps to Prevent Future Mold Growth
A continuous state of elevated humidity is a primary cause of excessive microbial growth in Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg residences. It can quickly increase the amount of damage that follows. Other factors, such as the presence of absorbent materials in the home, can also play a role in how rapidly microbial growth occurs.
Whenever a residence in Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg sustains mold damage, one of the aspects examined inside the home includes water sources' presence. Leaky water lines, past flooding events, and saturated ground near the home can increase the amount of humidity the interior of the home experiences. SERVPRO technicians use moisture meters and other devices to locate the sources and areas where moisture accumulated. Once we discover these areas and sources, we can then resolve the situation that caused microbial growth to affect the home.
Mold remediation experts know that the existence of future invasive water can cause the microbial problem to return, rendering mold remediation efforts useless. Once we eliminate these sources, we can then begin removing mold-damaged materials, laundering and cleaning household items and furniture, and caring for the carpeting throughout the home. Walls that harbor mold, even if dormant, need cleaning and drying.
During our work, maintaining a set of controls to keep all mold contained safely affects our labor's overall outcome. Containment includes plastic sheeting and air scrubbers usage surrounding areas within the home. Sending microbes outdoors helps keep them from entering other areas of your property.
However, ensuring that moisture sources no longer exist should not help keep old sources from returning in full force. Effectively starving microbes, their population growth stays under control. Once we complete our remediation work, diligent homeowners know to keep an eye out for leaking water lines, loose connections, and other sources of moisture. Microbes do not need a great deal of moisture to begin growing again and causing future problems.
SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg is always ready to serve those in our community. Contact us by calling our 24-hour service line at (727) 341-1001. Your family does not need to live with the effects of mold damage in your home.
Lightning Strikes Cause More House Fires Than You'd Think
The National Weather Service reports that lightning starts about 4,400 house fires each year, causing around $283 million in damages.
The National Weather Service reports that lightning starts about 4,400 house fires each year, causing around $283 million in damages.
Here at SERVPRO of Gulf Beach South / West St. Petersburg, we can help you with fire damages caused by lightning strikes. When the lightning hits a residence, it travels through the electrical lines to one of the home’s electrical boxes, which can catch fire. These fires can leave severe damage, including smoke damage to your home.
SERVPRO of Gulf Beach South / West St. Petersburg’s mitigation team can do a chem-sponge technique used to clean soot off the walls. In doing this, SERVPRO of Gulf Beach South / West St. Petersburg can ensure that no fire damage or smoke damage goes untreated.
If needed, we can paint the affected walls after the cleanup is completed and replaced with the necessary drywall. Our professional in-house crew uses a white-glove treatment and quickly completes the entire project. You can count on SERVPRO of Gulf Beach South / West St. Petersburg from the first contact to completion.
Why Choose SERVPRO? Because in the event of fire damage or water damage, large or small, we’re here to help. Contact us at (727) 341-1001
10 Reasons to Partner with SERVPRO of East Arlington
People and businesses rely on SERVPRO to restore damaged property for many reasons. Here are just 10.
1. We Get It
We understand your situation. You want to keep costs down, repair the damage, and get back to normal while restoring your space to a healthy and safe condition. Those are our goals too.
2. SERVPRO Is Qualified
Our repair and restoration team members have the best training in the industry and many years of experience. Their dedication is evident in every job.
3. We Respond to You Immediately
You can reach us 24/7. When a disaster strikes, we respond as quickly as possible. We can draw on more than 1,700 U.S. and Canada locations to get the right equipment and professionals faster than other companies.
4. You’re Part of Our Team
We work with you and for you. You are in charge. You receive a complete explanation of the work we will do and why it needs to be done a certain way. We always try to minimize surprises.
5. We Use the Latest Technology
The past few years have seen a rapid advancement in the technology and techniques used in the restoration industry. These advancements allow us to restore your property to preloss condition quickly, reliably, and more effectively.
6. We Practice the Golden Rule of Restoration
Restoring property is less expensive than replacing property. SERVPRO professionals practice the golden rule, "Restore whenever possible, replace only when necessary." We make sure pre-testing is completed on every loss to determine restorability.
7. For Claim and Other Purposes, Your Loss Is Itemized
We can give you an itemized loss inventory and you will receive an Excel formatted report and pictures of important items.
8. We’ll Help You Prevent Losses, Not Just Deal with Them
Our services start with prevention. We’ll come out to your business or home and do a review of how you can protect yourself, your family, your business, and your property from potential loss. That’s another old rule (from Ben Franklin) we like: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Check out our SERVPRO Emergency Ready Plan for more info on prevention.
9. We Handle Any Loss from A Natural Disaster—Big or Small
Have multiple locations? No problem. Suffer a small loss from water or fire or wind? We can handle it. Have a massive, complex disaster to recover from? That’s within our scope of services, too.
10. We’re Approved, Certified, And Experienced
We’re trained to IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification) standards in fire and water cleanup and restoration. Our professionals attend SERVPRO continuing education classes. SERVPRO has been in business for more than 45 years. Hard-earned results have made SERVPRO a leader in the fire and water cleanup and restoration industry.
9 Effective Ways to Manage Mold
Managing mold in your home or business can be tricky, especially in warm and humid climates.
Managing mold in your home or business can be tricky, especially in warm and humid climates. Use these 9 strategies:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. Preventing mold from growing or spreading might be as simple as ripping up carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products, or repairing damaged gutters.
- Dry wet areas immediately. Mold can't grow without moisture, so tackle wet areas right away.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. Make sure an activity as simple as cooking dinner, taking a shower, or doing a load of laundry doesn't invite mold by providing proper ventilation in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, and any other high-moisture area.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products. Building a new home or renovating an old one? Use mold-resistant products like mold-resistant drywall or mold-resistant Sheetrock, and mold inhibitors for paints.
- Monitor humidity indoors. The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. You can measure humidity with a moisture meter purchased from your local hardware store.
- Direct water away from your home. If the ground around your home isn't sufficiently sloped away from the foundation, water may collect and seep into your crawlspace or basement.
- Clean or repair roof gutters. Have your roof gutters cleaned regularly and inspected for damage. Repair them as necessary, and keep an eye out for water stains after storms that may indicate a leak.
- Improve airflow in your home. Without adequate airflow in your home, excess moisture may appear on your walls, windows, and floors. To increase circulation, open doors between rooms, move furniture away from walls, and open doors to closets that may be colder than the rooms they're in. Let fresh air in to reduce moisture and keep mold at bay.
- Keep mold off household plants. They're beautiful and help keep your indoor air clean — and mold loves them. The moist soil in indoor plants is a perfect breeding ground for mold, which may then spread to other areas of your house.
If you do need professional help with identifying, remediating, and managing a mold issue in your home of business, give us a call! Click here for more info.
Career Opportunities at SERVPRO
Interested in being a part of the SERVPRO family? Apply today!
With 17 franchises in 6 locations throughout TN, FL, and TX, SERVPRO Team Nicholson is an exciting, diverse, innovative place to work. We foster positive company culture, offer competitive compensation packages, and prioritize community involvement. Come find out what it takes to be a part of our team!
Our mission is to be a proud, laser-focused team holding each other accountable while creating positive opportunities for our people and becoming the most efficiently run organization in the markets we serve. We value honesty, reliability, relationships, trustworthiness, and authenticity! Our team develops and provides solutions; we are go-getters and carry a “bring it” attitude to our work environment. We listen and value each other’s thoughts and ideas and strive to bring them to life. We are built on hard work, transparency, good business, and integrity. We believe “You can’t go wrong doing the right thing.”
Bill Repsel, our Regional Administrator, shared his testimony on what it's like working for SERVPRO. He said "Every day is a new day. It is an opportunity to serve others in our community in a time of need. We have an incredible team of people with great talent that strives to make a difference every day."
SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg is proud of the work we do and is always looking for like-minded people interested in a rewarding career. Please submit your resume to recruiting@SERVPROclarksville.com, stop by our office at 3798 131st Ave N, Clearwater, FL. from 8:00 am-5:00 pm Monday-Friday, or click here to check out our current job openings.