Eliminating Mold Growth Causes
Indoor mold growth on ceiling near window.
SERVPRO Remediates Mold Damage and Takes Steps to Prevent Future Mold Growth
A continuous state of elevated humidity is a primary cause of excessive microbial growth in Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg residences. It can quickly increase the amount of damage that follows. Other factors, such as the presence of absorbent materials in the home, can also play a role in how rapidly microbial growth occurs.
Whenever a residence in Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg sustains mold damage, one of the aspects examined inside the home includes water sources' presence. Leaky water lines, past flooding events, and saturated ground near the home can increase the amount of humidity the interior of the home experiences. SERVPRO technicians use moisture meters and other devices to locate the sources and areas where moisture accumulated. Once we discover these areas and sources, we can then resolve the situation that caused microbial growth to affect the home.
Mold remediation experts know that the existence of future invasive water can cause the microbial problem to return, rendering mold remediation efforts useless. Once we eliminate these sources, we can then begin removing mold-damaged materials, laundering and cleaning household items and furniture, and caring for the carpeting throughout the home. Walls that harbor mold, even if dormant, need cleaning and drying.
During our work, maintaining a set of controls to keep all mold contained safely affects our labor's overall outcome. Containment includes plastic sheeting and air scrubbers usage surrounding areas within the home. Sending microbes outdoors helps keep them from entering other areas of your property.
However, ensuring that moisture sources no longer exist should not help keep old sources from returning in full force. Effectively starving microbes, their population growth stays under control. Once we complete our remediation work, diligent homeowners know to keep an eye out for leaking water lines, loose connections, and other sources of moisture. Microbes do not need a great deal of moisture to begin growing again and causing future problems.
SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg is always ready to serve those in our community. Contact us by calling our 24-hour service line at (727) 341-1001. Your family does not need to live with the effects of mold damage in your home.
9 Effective Ways to Manage Mold
Managing mold in your home or business can be tricky, especially in warm and humid climates.
Managing mold in your home or business can be tricky, especially in warm and humid climates. Use these 9 strategies:
- Identify problem areas in your home and correct them. Preventing mold from growing or spreading might be as simple as ripping up carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products, or repairing damaged gutters.
- Dry wet areas immediately. Mold can't grow without moisture, so tackle wet areas right away.
- Prevent moisture with proper ventilation. Make sure an activity as simple as cooking dinner, taking a shower, or doing a load of laundry doesn't invite mold by providing proper ventilation in your bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, and any other high-moisture area.
- Equip your home with mold-resistant products. Building a new home or renovating an old one? Use mold-resistant products like mold-resistant drywall or mold-resistant Sheetrock, and mold inhibitors for paints.
- Monitor humidity indoors. The EPA recommends keeping indoor humidity between 30 and 60 percent. You can measure humidity with a moisture meter purchased from your local hardware store.
- Direct water away from your home. If the ground around your home isn't sufficiently sloped away from the foundation, water may collect and seep into your crawlspace or basement.
- Clean or repair roof gutters. Have your roof gutters cleaned regularly and inspected for damage. Repair them as necessary, and keep an eye out for water stains after storms that may indicate a leak.
- Improve airflow in your home. Without adequate airflow in your home, excess moisture may appear on your walls, windows, and floors. To increase circulation, open doors between rooms, move furniture away from walls, and open doors to closets that may be colder than the rooms they're in. Let fresh air in to reduce moisture and keep mold at bay.
- Keep mold off household plants. They're beautiful and help keep your indoor air clean — and mold loves them. The moist soil in indoor plants is a perfect breeding ground for mold, which may then spread to other areas of your house.
If you do need professional help with identifying, remediating, and managing a mold issue in your home of business, give us a call! Click here for more info.
Why You Should Choose SERVPRO to Handle Your Property's Mold
If you have mold, contact SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg.
Before we begin to tell you why you should choose SERVPRO to handle your property's mold, let's start with what mold is. Mold is a living organism belonging to the kingdom fungi. Due to mold not capable of making its food, it has to gain its nutrients from other substances. Mold is composed of thread-like filaments called hyphae. The hyphae then form a conglomerate called a mycelium. While mold itself has no mobility, its hyphae can grow quite large. Why should you choose SERVPRO to handle your property's mold? We can give you two reasons:
#1 We Are Highly Trained Mold Remediation Specialists
SERVPRO professionals specialize in water and mold damage restoration. We have Applied Microbial Remediation Specialist, Water Damage Restoration Technician, and Applied Structural Drying Technician training and expertise to safely handle any mold situation.
#2 We Use Advanced Mold Remediation Techniques and Equipment
While every mold damage scenario is different and requires a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same.
Step 1: Emergency Contact 1-833-683-4550
The mold cleanup and restoration process begin when you call our National Customer Care Center to receive all the information needed to begin the process.
Step 2: Inspection and Mold Damage Assessment
SERVPRO professionals will carefully inspect your property for visible signs of mold.
Related: Warning Signs You Have A Mold Problem
Step 3: Mold Containment
SERVPRO professionals will use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold in your house.
Step 4: Air Filtration
Their specialized filtration equipment allows their professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. They utilize powerful "air scrubbers" and HEPA vacuums to prevent these mold spores' spread while the mold remediation is in process.
Step 5: Removing Mold and Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and carpeting, may be necessary to remediate heavy mold growth.
Step 6: Cleaning Contents and Belongings
SERVPRO professionals will clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold.
Step 7: Restoration
Depending on the mold damage level, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may need removal. Restoration may involve minor repairs such as painting or installing new carpet, or it may entail major repairs such as reconstructing various areas or rooms in a home or business.