Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
We know how stressful it can be to have your house turned upside down by water damage or destroyed by a fire. When everything seems to be going wrong SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg is here to help you make it "Like it never even happened." After any fire damage situation, your primary focus should be safety first:
- Is it safe to stay in the house?
- Electrical and "slip and fall" hazards are some of the most prevalent concerns.
- Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
- Wet materials can be VERY heavy. Be careful!
Our SERVPRO team provides fast 24-hour emergency services to your residential or commercial property. SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg is a locally owned and operated business and we have the best training, expertise, and equipment to properly handle your residential or commercial restoration and cleaning needs.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage?
Call SERVPRO of Gulf Beaches South / West St. Petersburg at (727) 341-1001
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (727) 341-1001
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.